Look inside the book here:
Soft cover, 154 pages, 240mm x 218mm landscape
NZ $30 (plus GST)
Storylines Notable Book Award winner 2016!
Samoan Heroes is published by Reading Warrior. Reading Warrior creates resources that help students learn about their own cultures, strengthen their literacy and inspire them with stories of positive role models and achievers.
The award winning Samoan Heroes tells the inspirational stories of achievers who have Samoan ancestry. It includes legends like Sina and Tigilau; historical figures such as Tupua Tamasese Lealofi III and Salamāsina; and contemporary heroes like Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Judge Ida Mālosi, Troy Polamalu, Savage and Associate Professor Donna Addis. The book is illustrated by Samoan comic book artist, Michel Mulipola.
Here’s a Radio New Zealand report about the book produced by Leilani Momoisea. The program was broadcast out to the Pacific, and throughout New Zealand:
Samoan Heroes is written for Pasifika young people!
- To encourage them to read more by providing reading material they can relate to, in language appealing to them. Many Pasifika young people have lower literacy levels than other youth in NZ, partly due to a shortage of reading material they’re interested in.
- To inspire them with the positive life stories of achievers they know, describing the challenges these figures went through and how they overcame them to become successful e.g. most people know Dwayne Johnson as one of the most recognisable figures on the planet. But did you know that he once had to sleep on mattresses found in a rubbish collection and had only $7 in his pocket?
- To support the preservation of historical knowledge. Our young people are proud of their cultural heritage but often know very little about the historical achievements and figures of significance in their cultural history.
“Honestly got teary as I read through this book. What you have created is nothing short of beautiful and amazing.” Matilda Roebeck. Australian teacher and mum
“The Samoan Heroes book is a hot favourite, I encourage every child who takes it out to show it to their parents and talk about it with them and the feedback has been amazing. It seems that the Dads are really taken with it and the children love connecting with their Dads over the book. I love your work.” Rosemary Paterson. St Therese School
“I really enjoyed reading your new book Samoan Heroes. You have done an excellent job, very informative and interesting. After reading this book I am left with the challenge, that with diligence and hard work, I could one day be great.” Annette McKitrick (RLIANZA) Librarian/Resource Manager, Waimea Intermediate School
“I can’ t wait for your next books. My son loves them and it’s the only time I see him read for pleasure. Our Te Awamutu boys read them in days! Thanks from a mum and teacher.” Tracy Findlay. Deputy Principal Te Awamutu Primary
“This book is fabulous. It’s so high interest and relevant, and the layout is superb. There is such a great cross section of heroes from the arts, sport, medicine, law, business, politics etc. I can see the children being absolutely riveted, especially those of Samoan ethnicity. This book should be in every NZ school library.” Jennifer Cunningham. East Tamaki School
1. Credit card: If you want to purchase one book please click the BUY NOW button for your location.
3. Internet banking/cash: Send me an e mail if you would like to pay by internet banking or cash.
Or order by e mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Get the eBook at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UYEWQCM